Home preparation is a crucial part of getting top dollar for your home. These are the items that should happen before your home is staged. While a professional stager may recommend all of these items in a home evaluation, these recommendations are NOT considered staging, simply maintenance and preparation items.
Top 5 MOST IMPORTANT Projects to do when selling your home!
Closet Organizations – A well-organized closet highlights the storage capabilities for your potential buyers.
- Remove everything from the floors.
- Store purses, scarves, sweaters, t-shirts, and other smaller items in decorative bins.
- Remove empty hangers
- Remove seasonal clothing and pre-sale pack
Organize your clothing by category and then by lightest to darkest colors.
- Create even spaces between the hangers.
Garages – Buyers are buying space and simply the more you show them, the better.
- Pre-sale pack and remove off-site area all items not used on a weekly basis.
- Create areas that remind your buyers of where the garden -yard equipment is stored, the sporting equipment, household paints and automotive items.
- Organized items in bins, on hooks and/or shelving to create a sense of a well-organized space.
- Repair and clean the walls, floors, work benches, doors.
- Turn on all lights and clean windows.
White Glove Clean – White Glove clean goes beyond the standard into another level of sparkle.
- Every ceiling, wall, corner, floor, door, window, light fixture, ceiling fan, switch plates, floor/ceiling vents, (you get the idea) has to be scrubbed, dusted, detailed to a clean and sparkle like it was brand new.
- Check /clean air filters to dryer vents to furnace filters.
- Don’t forget to clean/vacuum the blinds and drapery throughout the house.
- Kitchens and bathrooms must shine. Detail these areas to show your buyers the pride of ownership and that this house is well maintained and desirable.
- Freshen it up with a lemon polish for furniture and wood moldings.
Stacks and Piles – In almost every room of your house you must be careful not to leave items in stacks and piles as it distracts from your buyers dream and catapults them in the world of everyday living.
- Envelops, loose paper, coloring books, notes, newspapers must be stored away and out of sight.
- Items like folded clothing, towels, and blankets, also out of sight.
- Office papers, reports, bills, calendars, toys, games etc. also out of sight.
No Household Chores – The most important impression that is made is the one you create. It is important to allow your buyers to feel that they are getting exactly what their heart desires. Never showcase the fact that your house comes with work. So leave no stone unturned and improve your selling position with a GREAT presentation!
- No dishes in the dishwasher or on the sink.
- No laundry in the laundry basket where your guests might see it.
- No trash sitting in kitchens or bathrooms
- No unmade beds
- No left out brooms, mops, dish strainers, toilet bowl brushes, etc.
Call for your personal professional home evaluation before you go on the market
If you are considering selling your home in the Greater Indianapolis area, please contact us today. We’ll set up an appointment with one of our home staging consultants and evaluate your home with clear, specific recommendations.